NinthWanderer

NinthWanderer

Have Coffee, Will Travel

Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)
Hilary Mantel
250 Things You Should Know About Writing
Chuck Wendig
War for the Oaks
Emma Bull
Machine - Jennifer Pelland I've known Jennifer Pelland for something like 14 years and have watched her carve out a niche as a top-notch small/indie press science fiction writer exploring how people relate to technology and to their own bodies. Machine feels like the culmination of her exploration of those themes, bringing them all together in one dark, kinky, twisted, screwed-up ride about a woman learning to live in an android body. I heartily recommend this book to anyone who likes their science fiction to kick over humanity's rocks and see what scurries out from underneath. There are some timely political themes about our rights over our own bodies and those who want to deny those rights on religious grounds, but also a heartfelt exploration of what it means to be human, how we form bonds with other people, and the dark places we can go when something breaks us. An excellent read by an author who deserves attention. I also recommend her short story collection Unwelcome Bodies for explorations of similar topics.